Skip to main content

Your Personal Story


A woman I never really liked much once talked to me about my personal story. She was a sales manager and was telling me how she helps to flush out each of her sales persons' personal story to help them be more productive sales reps. I don't recall why she went into the topic, but I do remember thinking.... If you knew mine, I wouldn't be sitting here as part of your executive team. See, I loved her idea and believe in what she was saying, but at the time... My personal story may have been too much for a fellow Executive team member.

You see, I'm not... Normal. Since then and until now, I've revisited the thought and know the sales manager was right, but I'm afraid. It's my story. It's personal. Seems obvious I know, but share yours. You know, that one that one truest to reality and not filtered by your ego or personal wants and needs.

If I can digress...In the realm of marketing in business and personal promotion, your personal story is only the first part of the equation. That's what I was missing... What I didn't know was that the second part is appealing to those in the same or similar life group. Finding your people. Appealing to those that want to work with and be around you. Following that, we should develop an ability to work with and to promote the needs of those around us as well.

This post, then, will be about taking your personal story out of the past and into your everyday.

Maybe I'm wrong, but not everyone seems to like my personal story. Take my dad, for example. Love him and he's an amazing father. He taught me bravery and compassion for strangers, among many other things, and has been a meaningful and at times a very challenging part of my life. He, however, is likely not a big fan of my personal story. Not to say he doesn't love me, it's not the same thing, but my personal story is bold, racy and filled with inconsistent decision making. "Consistently inconsistent" is what my dad calls it and, unfortunately for me, there isn't and ADD/ADHD diagnosis to fall back on. I just am what I am like everyone else and that's led me to certain places and situations. This means a few things, but one of those is my wide and sweeping career path. I'm a communicator, I'm flexible (in thinking, like I mentioned above) and I have the ability to see and project value. I am multi-dynamic.

Why is this important? It's the core of my story, just like the corresponding definition of another is in their world. Like yourself definition is in yours. It’s how we have the incredible opportunities we do. It's how we interact and develop. How we receive and reject others.

Developing my personal story has enabled me to advance in my career and personal life in many realms. I'd like to share some of it now and invite you to comment or share as well.

First off....

I don't believe in revolution, but I am a solid believer in evolution.

In the next few posts, I want to go a bit deeper into my personal story and the basics of developing your own to use in business or personal promotion for internal or external reasons. I won't put too much personal info here, but will develop it more in a second arena if the details appeal to you.

For now, sit back and think about those things you repeat over and again about yourself to others. What stories, heartbreaks and successes do you share?

Write them down and I'm going to show you something interesting about perspective.

To take your personal past and apply it to the everyday, we must:

Recognize how we view our past. Is it positive, negative or indifferent? Is it cloudy or vibrant?

How do we feel about our present and do we rely on what was to exist in the now? If so, what attributes do you have that you can highlight today through action, a photo, a journal entry or a phone call?

How can you transmute your thoughts of what could be into reality in the same way you transmute the thoughts of what was into today?

Let's find out together... Send me a message, reply or just jot your reply down. More tomorrow.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A World of Life, or Why to Live is the Opposite of Evil

 Wow. This is getting tough.  Not the work of life. Not life. Those have always been tough. What's getting to be so tough that it's almost unbearable, is knowing what I can do for so many that are struggling, while having the fear of change, doom, climate, water, food... on and on until it grips people so hard, that they don't move. They can't hear that there are options. When they see them, they are so tired of being lied to or manipulated that even when they think something is good, the past won't let them open up their own future. Having solutions for people didn't start with the solution, for me. In my life, it was always about the people. When I was young, I wanted to be a lawyer, but I ended up in business. It was my mom, actually, who showed me the world of marketing. I had no idea I'd end up there, but I loved watching her mind work, he sessions with my dad that felt like they were on fire, even from the top of the stairs or through the vents, where

I love Memorial Day (and leave the BBQ's alone)

I love memorial day. I didn't used to think of it much and I BBQ all the time, so I'm not too impressed with all those cartoons running around. I love memorial day because I get to officially remember people, many of whom I think about consistently but It wasn't always this way. Remembering can be hard and (in my opinion) paying tribute to those memories are an individual choice. I was living away from my family, in Arizona and married to an individual that didn't prefer me having any connections to people outside of him. My grandmothers both passed away in this time and I was unaware. My grandmother in Florida was an adorable little woman when I got to know her as a young kid. From my mom's stories, I know it wasn't always that way. Grandma Gron had to be tough to live through my grandpa and I promise you, tough is an understatement. She raised three children and my mother is of the best I have the pleasure of knowing or to know or know of. I remember and c

Past My Limit or Internal Lies. Three tips on personal motivation.

Every time I say to myself that I have reached my limit or that I'm past my limit, I have the instant emotional response that it's just not true. Like most, throughout my life I've had a variety of experiences, some pretty harsh trials and many lessons in endurance and perseverance. Here's a few tips on how to keep going when you feel there is no possible way you can. 1. Ignore reality. Not completely, but in some ways ignore the elements that make you feel there is no way out. Relationships that are ending, finances that are drained and the faith of others in your talents that has just run out are all real and actual problems. In personal and professional realms, there are times when you just can't see moving forward nor feel you have the strength to do so. I suggest you ignore it a little and get out of your current perspective. I can recall the day I drove into Millcreek Broadcasting, a small Utah radio group, to apply for a job. At twenty two I hadn't h