Skip to main content

5 Ways to Prepare Yourself for Sandy



Hurricane Sandy is about to devastate the East Coast. Here are five things can you do on your own to prepare for the fallout, regardless of where you live.

The storm that is now gaining strength just off the East coast of the US and Canada will cause widespread devastation and another pinch on resources. It will also cause residual effects on social levels. Here are five ways you can prepare for the likelihood that your home will be in the wake of  such aftershocks.

1    1.  Get yourself oriented. Take stock of your bills and resources. Make sure you have items on hand should times get tough and you need to be prepared to take care of yourself and/or your family on less than what you have now. Keep in mind that the stock market is shut down and there will continue be hefty cost to the affected states, businesses and citizens here and around the globe. Even just the preparation for this storm has caused hundreds of millions of transactions, trades and dollars to stop moving. Resources are being used for generators, boarding up buildings, sand and emergency supplies. All of these and other factors like travel and communication will affect our market and quality of life. Prepare ahead and keep calm. Keep yourself as relaxed and focused as possible. Tune into opportunity and resolution and you will have the ability to move forward.

2       2. Plan to help out. In times of need, there is never a shortage of ways you can help another. Helping also reduces the burden on local and National resources that are badly needed in these times of change and transformation. Help your friend, family or neighbor with their planning. Check on those with less faculties or ability to communicate like the elderly or children in your community and social network. One in four children in our country reportedly go to bed hungry, many people are now without a home and in order to correct these social ills, we all need to help –even when we have less than we need for ourselves. 

      Tip: Help in ways that decrease your own waste or in ways that do not add to your liabilities. For example, my mother Good Day Catering and if there is more food than they can use, it is donated directly or to local shelters and the Salvation Army. She is helping a lot with little added cost and less waste.
3       
           3. Work smarter, work harder. Those who are capable should assist to make up for the lack of work and lack of opportunity that exists during and after the wakes of such a huge weather event. Google cancelled its Android Event – no doubt costing a lot in lost planning dollars, less production due to lost hours of labor and so on. Obama is cancelling political rallies and Romney has just donated a tour bus to relief efforts. All of this has costs and we can help to offset those by working hard in our own fields and keeping mindful of new opportunities for us or for our personal network. You can also help to be a resource for others you may know that are in the directly affected area. Do you have family that needs help making calls or sending emails? Plan ahead if at all possible, call and offer help. Can you contact their insurance company on their behalf, send supplies? Be a resource, be a resource.

4       4. Stay positive. Things may get worse before they get better. Keep positive and set realistic goals both large and small. Have goals and plans for the various areas of your life as well so that you don’t get imbalanced and stunt your growth. For example, don’t work really hard but ignore your social needs. Make sure you are visiting with people and getting fresh, natural air. Keep active and focus on the opportunities in any situation. Be aware of your value and don’t forget to celebrate as you handle your tasks or reach your goals. You are your best ally. 

          5. Stay informed, but don’t obsess over the news. I have a tendency to do this. I’ve read too much, perhaps, but the news as well as some of the stories are manipulated, sold and can only be taken at face value. Keep yourself aware of happenings and influence them by participating and discussing your ideas with others, but don’t obsess. Keep focused and on track even in the eye of a large and looming storm - you’ll be strengthened in kind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A World of Life, or Why to Live is the Opposite of Evil

 Wow. This is getting tough.  Not the work of life. Not life. Those have always been tough. What's getting to be so tough that it's almost unbearable, is knowing what I can do for so many that are struggling, while having the fear of change, doom, climate, water, food... on and on until it grips people so hard, that they don't move. They can't hear that there are options. When they see them, they are so tired of being lied to or manipulated that even when they think something is good, the past won't let them open up their own future. Having solutions for people didn't start with the solution, for me. In my life, it was always about the people. When I was young, I wanted to be a lawyer, but I ended up in business. It was my mom, actually, who showed me the world of marketing. I had no idea I'd end up there, but I loved watching her mind work, he sessions with my dad that felt like they were on fire, even from the top of the stairs or through the vents, where

I love Memorial Day (and leave the BBQ's alone)

I love memorial day. I didn't used to think of it much and I BBQ all the time, so I'm not too impressed with all those cartoons running around. I love memorial day because I get to officially remember people, many of whom I think about consistently but It wasn't always this way. Remembering can be hard and (in my opinion) paying tribute to those memories are an individual choice. I was living away from my family, in Arizona and married to an individual that didn't prefer me having any connections to people outside of him. My grandmothers both passed away in this time and I was unaware. My grandmother in Florida was an adorable little woman when I got to know her as a young kid. From my mom's stories, I know it wasn't always that way. Grandma Gron had to be tough to live through my grandpa and I promise you, tough is an understatement. She raised three children and my mother is of the best I have the pleasure of knowing or to know or know of. I remember and c

Past My Limit or Internal Lies. Three tips on personal motivation.

Every time I say to myself that I have reached my limit or that I'm past my limit, I have the instant emotional response that it's just not true. Like most, throughout my life I've had a variety of experiences, some pretty harsh trials and many lessons in endurance and perseverance. Here's a few tips on how to keep going when you feel there is no possible way you can. 1. Ignore reality. Not completely, but in some ways ignore the elements that make you feel there is no way out. Relationships that are ending, finances that are drained and the faith of others in your talents that has just run out are all real and actual problems. In personal and professional realms, there are times when you just can't see moving forward nor feel you have the strength to do so. I suggest you ignore it a little and get out of your current perspective. I can recall the day I drove into Millcreek Broadcasting, a small Utah radio group, to apply for a job. At twenty two I hadn't h