Skip to main content

The Startup Experience

I spend a lot of time with new and aspiring business owners and I think it's ti to start sharing some of my experiences. This past weekend, for example, I got to work on a new business concept called Cash Age. It was part of Startup Weekend, where I have met many bright minds overflowing with talent.

Cash Age is a work in progress, but as it's content driven for now, it shouldn't be hard to keep up on. It was a fun project proposed by another individual, Gil but taken over by my small team when he couldn't stay the weekend. Cash Age is an entrepreneurial program that enables kids of any age to make extra money, network their abilities in their community and link in to advanced tools and resources. With Cash Age, an end user can study different opportunities in affiliate sales, traditional neighborhood chores and advanced programs like how to make money with a timeshare.

The team that built Cash Age came together at Startup Weekend, a global phenomena that brings together talent in development, design and marketing. Games are played, mentors give speeches and resources are provided so that the teams created througCash Age is cute, with the basic concept illustrated and the ability to make most people laugh. It's what I wanted and that three of their team members were able to do this plus an interview video, the original music in the Emma video and the logo  in less than two days is more than encouraging and I'm excited about a growing partnership.

h popular vote are able to be launch ready after 54 hours of work. This year, I attended Startup Weekend Ogden. I went mostly to have an opportunity to work with Burning Tree Media, a company in Ogden that has that talent I mentioned before. With an inspired and individually motivated team, their work is able to move and stimulate. One of the two videos they made for

The other really cool experience at the three day event was to get to know Amenah, a U of  U student on scholarship from Cairo. She has been working at my office occasionally and chose to come to Startup Weekend, pitch an idea and she did an amazing job! She led a team of professional developers to create Refer Me, a program for self promotion and quality hiring based on referrals. I get to tell her teacher how supportive the crowd was of her idea, how hard she worked (we even slept on the couch in the venue) and how great her developed product was.

Startup Weekend is a great place to meet new people, find new additions to your referral network and to gain access to mentors and feedback you don't get when you operate solo. I got to see Jimmy Jacobsen from Las Vegas and Sean Hess who was the team lead last time. These plus many other familiar faces made it a fun event. I have to admit, my team could have done a lot better with the execution, but we had a few factors affecting a few team members so I just let everyone interact as they wanted and tried to facilitate helping my team get what they actually wanted out of the Startup Weekend in addition to working on a fun project that I believe is a cool tool for kids and possibly, adults.

It's been almost a week since the event was over and I'm now promoting the concept via the Startup Global Battle. I'm confident I won't win the awesome competition, but I'm exposing people to the idea and getting additional validation and feedback as I go. I've also been busy with actual work. Here are a couple articles I've posted this weekend. The one about PLSP is part of a multi platform / multi media campaign that launched on Black Friday.

5 tips when using PLSP
SLC Team Needs Your Vote


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A World of Life, or Why to Live is the Opposite of Evil

 Wow. This is getting tough.  Not the work of life. Not life. Those have always been tough. What's getting to be so tough that it's almost unbearable, is knowing what I can do for so many that are struggling, while having the fear of change, doom, climate, water, food... on and on until it grips people so hard, that they don't move. They can't hear that there are options. When they see them, they are so tired of being lied to or manipulated that even when they think something is good, the past won't let them open up their own future. Having solutions for people didn't start with the solution, for me. In my life, it was always about the people. When I was young, I wanted to be a lawyer, but I ended up in business. It was my mom, actually, who showed me the world of marketing. I had no idea I'd end up there, but I loved watching her mind work, he sessions with my dad that felt like they were on fire, even from the top of the stairs or through the vents, where

I love Memorial Day (and leave the BBQ's alone)

I love memorial day. I didn't used to think of it much and I BBQ all the time, so I'm not too impressed with all those cartoons running around. I love memorial day because I get to officially remember people, many of whom I think about consistently but It wasn't always this way. Remembering can be hard and (in my opinion) paying tribute to those memories are an individual choice. I was living away from my family, in Arizona and married to an individual that didn't prefer me having any connections to people outside of him. My grandmothers both passed away in this time and I was unaware. My grandmother in Florida was an adorable little woman when I got to know her as a young kid. From my mom's stories, I know it wasn't always that way. Grandma Gron had to be tough to live through my grandpa and I promise you, tough is an understatement. She raised three children and my mother is of the best I have the pleasure of knowing or to know or know of. I remember and c

Past My Limit or Internal Lies. Three tips on personal motivation.

Every time I say to myself that I have reached my limit or that I'm past my limit, I have the instant emotional response that it's just not true. Like most, throughout my life I've had a variety of experiences, some pretty harsh trials and many lessons in endurance and perseverance. Here's a few tips on how to keep going when you feel there is no possible way you can. 1. Ignore reality. Not completely, but in some ways ignore the elements that make you feel there is no way out. Relationships that are ending, finances that are drained and the faith of others in your talents that has just run out are all real and actual problems. In personal and professional realms, there are times when you just can't see moving forward nor feel you have the strength to do so. I suggest you ignore it a little and get out of your current perspective. I can recall the day I drove into Millcreek Broadcasting, a small Utah radio group, to apply for a job. At twenty two I hadn't h