Skip to main content

Creative Content Creation or Ideal Marketing

We've all done it. We're watching a movie on tv, fully engrossed on the visual reality being performed for us. Lost in the fictional world, our environment drops from consciousness, pulling us into the scene and into the lives of the characters. We sit - motionless - waiting for what's next and then... A commercial happens. The same is true with radio. These and other mediums that seek to use entertainment to get us 'tuned in' so they can sell advertising space to those who know what we're like and what we may want or need based on what we're watching. This is their business and can be a key to growing yours.

True to the human species, this is just not good enough. We grumble and complain, disappointed in the break and upset that we have to put up with the ads that technically provide the opportunity for the content - that show we were enjoying.

Though there are many incredible and fun advertisements out there, the reality is that most businesses doesn't see a way to afford an ad that has the creative flair of the many Budweiser ads we've enjoyed over the years (even if we don't drink their beverage, we talk about their advertisements) and who can forget the incredible ad from Dove? Real Beauty Sketches was an incredibly creative ad that brought emotions to tens of millions of viewers who watched it - most watched on purpose or recommendation.

So how does a small to mid sized business get the creative talent they need to make content that is both meaningful for their purpose of building business and engaging to the user?

I'd suggest finding local creative talent.

Local is a trend in agriculture and business, but the talent that surrounds local businesses are often left out of the mix. DJ's used to represent some of this talent pool, but that tactic has worn off with listeners and is less engaging than the talent that your potential customers actually choose to participate in. Think city art fairs and you'll find acts like the Motown Sounds Production who won the People's Choice Award in Utah last year for the City Art's Festival. Head to Arizona where I've used Headroom Live for shows at Sundance Film Festival, Cocomo Joe's of Arizona and even in an MMA event. Need a photo shoot? You'd be surprised at what you can find in your local pool of models. My home state has been lucky to have model Kinzey Ray who's gone from beautiful to stunning and from Big Dog Pawn to Maxim magazine. Those brilliant local businesses that utilized and enabled her talent have great ads that will likely be worth something one day as she's on a steady path to success.

The key to talent is (at least) threefold.

First. Know what talent your audience likes. Action Rent to Own in West Valley is one of my favorite examples of advertising. For years, the owner Dave would survey the people that came in to his location on their favorite radio stations. When I walked in with a co-worker to discuss Clean Channel radio, he knew what his audience listened to and although he'd try things out on occasion, he stuck to his core station. He also utilizes the talents of his workers and local advertising creator, Robert Lund. They've been able to stay up with the times, creating catchy parody ads using local and in-house talent. Ask your customers what they participate in-YouTube or Vevo, radio or streaming, movie theaters or Netflix- and you'll find advertising decisions become much easier. It's a simple method that is very commonly overlooked.

Second. Find actual talent. Yes, a lot of voice over talent is great. Yes, advertising directors can come up with great content and, yes, product placement in movies and television can have an impact. However, if you want to bet on talent, find the talent, the ideals and the mediums that your core audience from step one participates in. Have you seen the "Like a Girl" ad on YouTube? Powerful and inexpensive content, this subject is of growing concern to many females from eleven to thirty-five years old. How about the Dear Kitten ads? Also a great creative concept that could be pulled off at many levels from the inexpensive/candid to the high end production. Don't forget to use the talent to build business while helping your community as well. It's a perfect win-win-win scenario and is memorable to your audience. Last summer, my firm did two car shows to benefit Isaac Garcia, the son of my childhood friend who is going blind. We were able to host a Utah car show, benefit my dad's West Jordan car wash along with other local businesses and raise money to help Isaac to see the world.

If this isn't your arena, if you aren't the 'creative type' in your mind, get the list from step one together, describe what you'd like to sell and pose it to your social media in an open forum for collaboration or in an essay contest.

Third. Learn to manage talent to the best of your ability or find someone that can. This is by far one of the hardest aspects of creative marketing. The creatives themselves. Unlike your typical ad exec, they will need extra time and space for the creative process. They will need what Utah calls an MST, but we'll use CST for 'Creative Standard Time.' This just means give them one deadline for completion, a drop dead time and then have the actual time you need everything by that you don't utter aloud. The creative is a complex individual and under stress, the output is not nearly as good as what would exist if the talent had a coffee, some sugar and some space. Let them create, not work and you will get good content, but don't forget to manage the expectations and also the team. If you notice things they always have, IE RedBull, notebooks or some other stimulating item, cater to that. Reward good work with pay and tools to help the work continue in a manner that is conducive to the talent.

Content has quickly become a buzzword, but the creative aspect is what will take your audience and potential customers from 'tuned in' to fully engrossed and your ad from 'memorable' to shareable.

Need help getting started? We offer a $199 consultation for small businesses that are in one market and a $499 consultation to National businesses. This two hour consultation will provide some insight, research and free tools to get you started or further down the path of creative content creation.

Contact us at engage@webofallies.com  Subject: Consultation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A World of Life, or Why to Live is the Opposite of Evil

 Wow. This is getting tough.  Not the work of life. Not life. Those have always been tough. What's getting to be so tough that it's almost unbearable, is knowing what I can do for so many that are struggling, while having the fear of change, doom, climate, water, food... on and on until it grips people so hard, that they don't move. They can't hear that there are options. When they see them, they are so tired of being lied to or manipulated that even when they think something is good, the past won't let them open up their own future. Having solutions for people didn't start with the solution, for me. In my life, it was always about the people. When I was young, I wanted to be a lawyer, but I ended up in business. It was my mom, actually, who showed me the world of marketing. I had no idea I'd end up there, but I loved watching her mind work, he sessions with my dad that felt like they were on fire, even from the top of the stairs or through the vents, where

I love Memorial Day (and leave the BBQ's alone)

I love memorial day. I didn't used to think of it much and I BBQ all the time, so I'm not too impressed with all those cartoons running around. I love memorial day because I get to officially remember people, many of whom I think about consistently but It wasn't always this way. Remembering can be hard and (in my opinion) paying tribute to those memories are an individual choice. I was living away from my family, in Arizona and married to an individual that didn't prefer me having any connections to people outside of him. My grandmothers both passed away in this time and I was unaware. My grandmother in Florida was an adorable little woman when I got to know her as a young kid. From my mom's stories, I know it wasn't always that way. Grandma Gron had to be tough to live through my grandpa and I promise you, tough is an understatement. She raised three children and my mother is of the best I have the pleasure of knowing or to know or know of. I remember and c

Past My Limit or Internal Lies. Three tips on personal motivation.

Every time I say to myself that I have reached my limit or that I'm past my limit, I have the instant emotional response that it's just not true. Like most, throughout my life I've had a variety of experiences, some pretty harsh trials and many lessons in endurance and perseverance. Here's a few tips on how to keep going when you feel there is no possible way you can. 1. Ignore reality. Not completely, but in some ways ignore the elements that make you feel there is no way out. Relationships that are ending, finances that are drained and the faith of others in your talents that has just run out are all real and actual problems. In personal and professional realms, there are times when you just can't see moving forward nor feel you have the strength to do so. I suggest you ignore it a little and get out of your current perspective. I can recall the day I drove into Millcreek Broadcasting, a small Utah radio group, to apply for a job. At twenty two I hadn't h