Skip to main content

I Don't Know What That Means or There's Nothing I Can Do

I would have swapped the titles' order, but it seemed to make the concept too obvious.

Distort your own time!
In the movies, there's sometimes a person who works a lot. Their family tries to involve them more with activities, get them off the phone or to avoid meetings. Sometimes if it's a dramatic plot, you'll hear "Your just working all the time to avoid your family and the people who care about you." Sometimes I feel like that, not like the person (because a. they aren't real and, b. no one tells me that) but I feel like I'm avoiding people. Here's the thing (and it sounds weird) It's not on purpose, but it is a choice.  I don't mean to avoid anyone or make them feel I don't care about what they are doing. I could pay attention to everyone, remember birthdays, second and third tier holidays, but I don't choose to take that time. I'm using my time for other things, and I think that's okay.


We Are What We Do

Notice that I didn't say I'm doing bigger things, more important or any derivatives. I don't mean them. I mean other. I'm active, involved. With what exactly changes over time but the motion, creation and sense of purpose is typically there.

Example. It's not that I don't like 'The Voice'. I do. But... it gives me anxiety to watch TV, too many movies or participate in entertainment in general. It's too much, fills too many hours of millions of days around the globe every day. I want to do stuff and nope, i don't mean go skiing or to the park, but rather working with the resort or figuring out a better way to do parks.

I bring all of this up because I recently heard the words

"There is nothing I can do."

I don't know what that means. Truly.

Don't say it to me, I'll be offended by either the overwhelming level of self pity brought on by either an apathy in regards to our intrinsic responsibilities in life for ourselves and the people around us or by the lack of empathy-affecting your ability to see all the people around the world that really need you to do at least your part just for yourself. Notice I didn't say "our" right there. I didn't mean that, either because many of us are doing our part almost constantly.

"There's nothing I can do."

Spoken by the truly lazy.

Offensive, yes? I've said it before and I can kind of recall what I was feeling.

It's a popular sentiment that usually isn't true even in the most dire of circumstances and there really is always something you can do. It might be different than what you'd hoped for or planned for, but

GO DO IT!

Courtesy: Alyssa Dawson, 2015
And if you aren't going to, just be honest and tell everyone so we can stop putting our time into you and your life as well, it's the polite thing to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quantum relativity, my thoughts after 22 years of studying thinking on it

A Hypothesis on the relation of all things, and the absence of dark matter. Hypothesis: everything exists. Nothing does not. The appearance and physiological traits of any quantum particle, remain muted, until interacted with through an energetic force. Once energy hits, a quantum particle, its inherent qualities come to like, augmented by, and for the interaction. Each interaction type, causes quantum particles to behave and grow/deplete/mutate differently than other interaction types. Interaction types include Sound Light Physical Sent Thought Feeling/emotion All reverberate differently, with varied reactions, and in line with both Newtonian physics and relativity. If something is not relevant, it stays muted in a seeming void, which is actually all that is, was, and will be. When it is relative to an energy source, it becomes active, changeable to other areas/acts:aspects of energy. It grows, or depletes indirect response. The mean Upon the dark, formless void. From the darkness, th...

Past My Limit or Internal Lies. Three tips on personal motivation.

Every time I say to myself that I have reached my limit or that I'm past my limit, I have the instant emotional response that it's just not true. Like most, throughout my life I've had a variety of experiences, some pretty harsh trials and many lessons in endurance and perseverance. Here's a few tips on how to keep going when you feel there is no possible way you can. 1. Ignore reality. Not completely, but in some ways ignore the elements that make you feel there is no way out. Relationships that are ending, finances that are drained and the faith of others in your talents that has just run out are all real and actual problems. In personal and professional realms, there are times when you just can't see moving forward nor feel you have the strength to do so. I suggest you ignore it a little and get out of your current perspective. I can recall the day I drove into Millcreek Broadcasting, a small Utah radio group, to apply for a job. At twenty two I hadn't h...

Startup Weekend_One week later

It's been one week since the Startup Weekend in Salt Lake and I've had a bit of time to process the event, the outcome and my personal experiences with this phenomenal three day marathon. First, let me say that I heard of this event after complaining that Utah didn't have a lot of entrepreneurial type conferences. I take back some of what I said and have to admit, if a single event were to come to this state in lieu of all others, I'd be okay with Startup Weekend being that event. For those of you not familiar, this is a competition where people pitch ideas, research, plan and execute a group of start up businesses in a three day period. That said, here's more about the event- what I would do differently, some of my favorite aspects and what's happened since last Saturday. If I had it all to do over again, I'd do almost all of it different. I don't know if I've ever felt that way before, but it's true for Startup Weekend. For example, I would ha...