Skip to main content

Define, Commit, Evolve.

"What do you have to do to be President?" Susan asked. 

 She was in her stroller, and we were on our way to Challenger. I walked her there in the morning, 1.9 miles each way, to her Kindergarten class. Usually, we worked on her alphabet crown, today was a bit different.


How do you answer that kind of a questions for a six year old? For this six year old?
 
Susan had always been "something else" compassionate and strong, voicing her opinion politely but sternly. She always said "please" and "thank you", asking for things in an adorable way no one negated - especially since she was missing all four of her front teeth from toddler age. She was the epitome of silly and serious somehow, all at the same time.
 


So, how to become President.... What a question, and she was waiting for an answer. 

"Well, there's a lot you'd have to do, but first you have to have a strong moral compass, I think. You have to know who you are, and what's right for the country - and follow through on what you know you have to do. I think you could do it."

Satisfied, she sat back to contemplate my answer and I thought more about her question. I've thought about it a lot, actually, since then. A few years after that day, Susan decided she didn't want to be President anymore - or a leader. She wanted to be 'normal' and have a regular job. She told everyone, but most didn't listen. Over one tense political conversation between the cousins one day, they all agreed on only one thing - Susan would make a great President. Considering their ages ran from about 5 to 15, it was interesting to see them unify around - and a little sad to see Susan back away from - such a strong statement, that strong of a belief in someone.

******
This year, Susan is thirteen and COVID-19 is raging around the globe. Though she's an introvert for the most part, she enjoys teachers, interacting and observing at school. She's noticed, with some irritation, that she's always in charge of groups in class. The teachers use her as an example, and her friends look to her for solutions, inspiration and money. 
 
It's hilarious. 
 
With COVID, as I'm sure with many kids, she's been disappointed by the schools shutting down, but instead of getting upset or lazy, she came to me with another hefty question.

"How do you become your best self?" 
  
This is what she's decided to focus on and commit to while we've been asked to self-isolate. She's decided to focus on her school still, but that's simple for her (minus orchestra, which is still coming along really well). 

Again, I needed a bit to formulate an answer. I gave her a few answers right away though, and then, two days later told her to erase what I'd said, mentally, let's start at it again.

"First, you have to decide what your best self is, to you - and it'll change, so know that, too. Who you want to be today and who you'll need to be tomorrow may change sometimes. For today, though, start with a list. Write it out - who is your best self? What does that mean to you? And then make another list of all the actions and skills you'll need to accomplish those things, and then add the tools and resources you need to do your list of actions."

I won't go into the rest, or what she came up with, but I will say she has really taken it to heart, shown up each day since with something new, that I can see, and is focused on becoming her best self. 
  
She doesn't want to be a leader, but she's always appointed one, so she's started to accept what we all must come to - typically at a much older age - that we don't choose all that we are - we can only choose to commit to it, our best "It" - for us - and grow, evolve and love ourselves as we go. 

Isn't this what it's all about? 

Isn't this what we go to churches for, buy self-help books for, absorb mystical content and read MEMES about? 

To discover, define and become - always? As we live, and learn, and love - ourselves and each other?
 
********
What is it you want in your life? 
 
Who are you, really? 
 
What tools do you have to help express and develop that self you deeply (and sometimes secretly), love and want to be?

What is your superhero, ideal, best self - are you living it? If not, why not? What are you afraid of? Is that fear more real than your potential?

We all have have time, we have resources and if you'd like to grow but don't know what they are, I have a team of incredible people that can help you to discover, uncover and find what you have to utilize. We're really good at it, too. I'm going to be doing live and video classes on some aspects I think I can help with soon, too. It's a little of what I'm afraid of, but we'll get there.

Build your ideal world. We do live in that age. We can become our best and highest self - for ourselves, and for the sake of all humanity. Your gifts are as needed as Susan's, mine and the neighbors' you do or don't know. 

We all have something to give. 

We are enough.

Define, commit, evolve

Want more? Comment, message or find me on social media and let's chat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A World of Life, or Why to Live is the Opposite of Evil

 Wow. This is getting tough.  Not the work of life. Not life. Those have always been tough. What's getting to be so tough that it's almost unbearable, is knowing what I can do for so many that are struggling, while having the fear of change, doom, climate, water, food... on and on until it grips people so hard, that they don't move. They can't hear that there are options. When they see them, they are so tired of being lied to or manipulated that even when they think something is good, the past won't let them open up their own future. Having solutions for people didn't start with the solution, for me. In my life, it was always about the people. When I was young, I wanted to be a lawyer, but I ended up in business. It was my mom, actually, who showed me the world of marketing. I had no idea I'd end up there, but I loved watching her mind work, he sessions with my dad that felt like they were on fire, even from the top of the stairs or through the vents, where

I love Memorial Day (and leave the BBQ's alone)

I love memorial day. I didn't used to think of it much and I BBQ all the time, so I'm not too impressed with all those cartoons running around. I love memorial day because I get to officially remember people, many of whom I think about consistently but It wasn't always this way. Remembering can be hard and (in my opinion) paying tribute to those memories are an individual choice. I was living away from my family, in Arizona and married to an individual that didn't prefer me having any connections to people outside of him. My grandmothers both passed away in this time and I was unaware. My grandmother in Florida was an adorable little woman when I got to know her as a young kid. From my mom's stories, I know it wasn't always that way. Grandma Gron had to be tough to live through my grandpa and I promise you, tough is an understatement. She raised three children and my mother is of the best I have the pleasure of knowing or to know or know of. I remember and c

Quantum relativity, my thoughts after 22 years of studying thinking on it

A Hypothesis on the relation of all things, and the absence of dark matter. Hypothesis: everything exists. Nothing does not. The appearance and physiological traits of any quantum particle, remain muted, until interacted with through an energetic force. Once energy hits, a quantum particle, its inherent qualities come to like, augmented by, and for the interaction. Each interaction type, causes quantum particles to behave and grow/deplete/mutate differently than other interaction types. Interaction types include Sound Light Physical Sent Thought Feeling/emotion All reverberate differently, with varied reactions, and in line with both Newtonian physics and relativity. If something is not relevant, it stays muted in a seeming void, which is actually all that is, was, and will be. When it is relative to an energy source, it becomes active, changeable to other areas/acts:aspects of energy. It grows, or depletes indirect response. The mean Upon the dark, formless void. From the darkness, th