Skip to main content

Education Funding AKA "The Resolution"

I have an education funding business plan that will be know this year as... 'The Resolution.' Those around me may be tired of hearing about it, a lot of time and energy has been pumped ito it. I've had everyone from Utah Angels to the Mayor of Salt Lake review the business plan. They gave me great feedback, input and told me to keep going. I brought it to three school districts and they did the same. I found all of the resources and people necessary and put them on standby while I rounded up the means to develop the software for the residual education funding program I'd developed in an Ah Ha! moment.

Here's the story. I'd been an entrepreneur since I could remember. My parents worked hard, then bought and ran their own businesses. I was included in in a lot of discussions, meetings and creative sessions while also cleaning employee bathrooms, sending invoices and labeling thousands of envelopes in my early years. I had many enterprises and by 22, I was dealing in residential telecommunications design, paying for and building infrastructure that would one day become iCheetah - the fastest animal in the broadband jungle (A Utah WISP). Years later, this experience would evolve into large scale affiliate sales of while labeled technologies in VoIP, Internet services and more. I started a business with my then husband and we grew to a level I hadn't anticipated. Though moderately successful in business, we were unhappy and soon went to spend healing time in La Costa, California. To say that the little cottage surrounded with flowers and care free people was a help to me would be a drastic understatement. I started being more me while I was there. Free to sing outside, sleep in my own room and provide a home to a lizard who was my Imp of Creativity. I didn't know it at the time, but I was on my road to happiness - and to discovering My School and I.

My School and I came to me while I wrote ideas feverishly for days in a row jsut after my 30th birthday. It's when birds were talking to me, when I found my reptile friend in the garage, staring at me while I leaned down and just picked him up. In my small room with wooden walls and sweet, fresh air is where I realized how I could fund education - plus any charitable cause - using no additional monies from schools, tax payers, parents or private organizations. In fact, I knew how I could make them all money as well. For the first time in a long time, I was really excited. I wrote it out, discussed it with a few people, some of whom were jealous of the sheer scope of opportunity, let alone potential social impact.

I went to work.

And got derailed.

I think. I also think everything happens for a reason, so maybe it's just a perceptual thing. When I told my then husband about my idea, he promptly took me back to our Scottsdale home and bought me a Mexican food restaurant.

Nope, I'm not kidding. I didn't know when he saw the space, spit out the idea of Berto's to Go and eventually signed a lease that I was who he had in mind to run it. Our housekeeper and nanny's had run a food truck before so his idea was to have me own and operate while they managed and cooked. I didn't mind the idea so much, but I really wanted to fund schools. I saw a huge need and was antsy to work on working to fulfill those needs. So, we worked on the Mexican food concept for a while while still arguing and paying just over 5k a month to the beautiful Tatum Avenue location that never was to become Berto's.

Years later, I now live back in my home state of Utah. I've taken the education funding idea and business plan to anyone that has the potential to help me with it. Joy Howes, a Utah educator, helped in the early stages to make it kid friendly. Bank of the West said "I don't know how anyone hasn't thought of this before. It's so... simple." The Mayor helped to point out data that would be a helpful addition and the Utah Angels let me know that I didn't need enough just yet for them to fund, but keep going. And so, I have kept going.

This New Year will be it. I have built up my marketing and consultancy business and currently work with companies that both will compliment or work with the school funding business while also providing enough growth opportunity for me to pay for the last stretch of software necessary to complete the program. (Whew!) Once fully funded, it will take no more than 90 days to finish the foundation, begin implementing and use to fund schools long term and for free. Parents, educators and districts will recoup badly needed funds and we will be able to focus on the quality of Education in our Country once again.

My New Year's Resolution?

To finish what I started three years, nine months ago. To finish a program I have fought long and hard for in just about every area of my life. To my girls and their future and to the future of the generations to come.

Happy New Year's Eve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A World of Life, or Why to Live is the Opposite of Evil

 Wow. This is getting tough.  Not the work of life. Not life. Those have always been tough. What's getting to be so tough that it's almost unbearable, is knowing what I can do for so many that are struggling, while having the fear of change, doom, climate, water, food... on and on until it grips people so hard, that they don't move. They can't hear that there are options. When they see them, they are so tired of being lied to or manipulated that even when they think something is good, the past won't let them open up their own future. Having solutions for people didn't start with the solution, for me. In my life, it was always about the people. When I was young, I wanted to be a lawyer, but I ended up in business. It was my mom, actually, who showed me the world of marketing. I had no idea I'd end up there, but I loved watching her mind work, he sessions with my dad that felt like they were on fire, even from the top of the stairs or through the vents, where

I love Memorial Day (and leave the BBQ's alone)

I love memorial day. I didn't used to think of it much and I BBQ all the time, so I'm not too impressed with all those cartoons running around. I love memorial day because I get to officially remember people, many of whom I think about consistently but It wasn't always this way. Remembering can be hard and (in my opinion) paying tribute to those memories are an individual choice. I was living away from my family, in Arizona and married to an individual that didn't prefer me having any connections to people outside of him. My grandmothers both passed away in this time and I was unaware. My grandmother in Florida was an adorable little woman when I got to know her as a young kid. From my mom's stories, I know it wasn't always that way. Grandma Gron had to be tough to live through my grandpa and I promise you, tough is an understatement. She raised three children and my mother is of the best I have the pleasure of knowing or to know or know of. I remember and c

Past My Limit or Internal Lies. Three tips on personal motivation.

Every time I say to myself that I have reached my limit or that I'm past my limit, I have the instant emotional response that it's just not true. Like most, throughout my life I've had a variety of experiences, some pretty harsh trials and many lessons in endurance and perseverance. Here's a few tips on how to keep going when you feel there is no possible way you can. 1. Ignore reality. Not completely, but in some ways ignore the elements that make you feel there is no way out. Relationships that are ending, finances that are drained and the faith of others in your talents that has just run out are all real and actual problems. In personal and professional realms, there are times when you just can't see moving forward nor feel you have the strength to do so. I suggest you ignore it a little and get out of your current perspective. I can recall the day I drove into Millcreek Broadcasting, a small Utah radio group, to apply for a job. At twenty two I hadn't h