Skip to main content

Good Enough

"It wasn't that bad" said the girl in grey. A friend of hers was asking after a recommendation for a restaurant and this was the review. I chuckled for a second and then got moderately annoyed. Since when has "not that bad" been acceptable? Fast forward a few days when I'm talking about business to someone trying to figure out some "good" last minute promotions.

But good isn't good enough.

Seems that society has gotten lazy. Applebee's (sorry) just aren't that good. Neither are all of the other many Chili's, IHOP's and similar food chains across the country. To have standard food products across the country, you have to have standard foods - which means distribution trucks, frozen foods and heavy costs on the environment and health care. So why do people do it?

It's not that good, but it's easy and you don't have to think.

Small, local restaurants are lovely and have products delivered (usually) from local vendors. Things are made fresh so there aren't dough extenders and preservatives clinging to your body. Businesses that have a person calling the shots locally can make decisions that suit their customer base instead of their shareholders-and that is a great thing for consumers.

Laziness is no longer an answer.

Pull up Google on your phone and find the cool new hot spots. Pick up a Buy Local and go the extra mile in buying local meats, veggies and shopping at locally owned shops. "It wasn't that bad" shouldn't be an option and you can see from produce to clothing that we have let manufacturers slip. Most of us have a concierge at our fingertips and a navigator that can speak to us while we drive. With the myriad of time saving tools available, I'd love to see more people stepping it up and doing more instead of resting more. Now is the time when "not that bad" can no longer be socially acceptable. Restaurants are one example, but there are others.

In work - do more than is asked of you and ask for more from your peers. Your professional life will grow.
At home - help more than you think you can and explain how you feel to those who would benefit from knowing your truth.
Extend and promote.
Turn off the TV and turn on the community activities that are promoting growth, fun, health and conscious living.

"It's not that bad" is not enough and I should have stopped to say so the other day. Maybe I could have saved the friend from another bland meal and help a great local spot like the Tin Roof Grill in Sandy or The Wild Rose restaurant at The District find a new patron. Opinionated as I am - I missed that one.

Guess that's what blogs are for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quantum relativity, my thoughts after 22 years of studying thinking on it

A Hypothesis on the relation of all things, and the absence of dark matter. Hypothesis: everything exists. Nothing does not. The appearance and physiological traits of any quantum particle, remain muted, until interacted with through an energetic force. Once energy hits, a quantum particle, its inherent qualities come to like, augmented by, and for the interaction. Each interaction type, causes quantum particles to behave and grow/deplete/mutate differently than other interaction types. Interaction types include Sound Light Physical Sent Thought Feeling/emotion All reverberate differently, with varied reactions, and in line with both Newtonian physics and relativity. If something is not relevant, it stays muted in a seeming void, which is actually all that is, was, and will be. When it is relative to an energy source, it becomes active, changeable to other areas/acts:aspects of energy. It grows, or depletes indirect response. The mean Upon the dark, formless void. From the darkness, th...

Past My Limit or Internal Lies. Three tips on personal motivation.

Every time I say to myself that I have reached my limit or that I'm past my limit, I have the instant emotional response that it's just not true. Like most, throughout my life I've had a variety of experiences, some pretty harsh trials and many lessons in endurance and perseverance. Here's a few tips on how to keep going when you feel there is no possible way you can. 1. Ignore reality. Not completely, but in some ways ignore the elements that make you feel there is no way out. Relationships that are ending, finances that are drained and the faith of others in your talents that has just run out are all real and actual problems. In personal and professional realms, there are times when you just can't see moving forward nor feel you have the strength to do so. I suggest you ignore it a little and get out of your current perspective. I can recall the day I drove into Millcreek Broadcasting, a small Utah radio group, to apply for a job. At twenty two I hadn't h...

Startup Weekend_One week later

It's been one week since the Startup Weekend in Salt Lake and I've had a bit of time to process the event, the outcome and my personal experiences with this phenomenal three day marathon. First, let me say that I heard of this event after complaining that Utah didn't have a lot of entrepreneurial type conferences. I take back some of what I said and have to admit, if a single event were to come to this state in lieu of all others, I'd be okay with Startup Weekend being that event. For those of you not familiar, this is a competition where people pitch ideas, research, plan and execute a group of start up businesses in a three day period. That said, here's more about the event- what I would do differently, some of my favorite aspects and what's happened since last Saturday. If I had it all to do over again, I'd do almost all of it different. I don't know if I've ever felt that way before, but it's true for Startup Weekend. For example, I would ha...