Skip to main content

Monumental Mondays or 3 Tips to Love What You Do




When I read posts across my social media, I'm always surprised to see how many people complain about getting up, starting the week and having to work. I've been lucky in my career, having found both a career that I love and that I'm good at. This hasn't always been the case, but I can say that even the toughest of jobs or the worst of situations can be made better in a few, simple ways. Here's three tips.

One) Have a positive attitude. I know, it's a cliche, but it's a cliche for a reason. If you have a positive outlook, the world really is a better place. Take Doug, a partner in one arena and a great conversationalist in another. When I call or when he rings my direction, I enjoy asking him how he's doing as his answer is typically something like "Absolutely great." One day I mentioned that if he were to ever answer in a negative manner, I'd truly wonder what could be so horribly wrong in the world. "It's one of those things," he says "I always look for the positive in everything." And though he has what some of my other associates have referred to as their idea of a dream life, he truly makes it that way. He grew up in schools that didn't recognize his aptitude and he was what he calls "the quintessential example of why there was a resource class." At twelve, he was in college, at fourteen, he had his first big idea that is finally coming to fruition and at thirty-three, he wakes up solving some of the toughest and also some of the most amusing of the worlds problems. Regardless of what he does, it's bound to be great because it's how he chooses to see our world and I'd encourage you do the same. A tough boss, a bad relationship, a difficult path all can and will get better with your positive perception of it. I've relied on my perception of reality many times to pull me through dark or harsh moments. In the words of my ex, James, "If perception is reality, create the perception and you'll control the reality."

My Clean Channel days, here with Glenn Beck
Two) Work harder than those around you. Does this seem opposite of what you want to do? It might, at first but it eliminates a lot of negativity right away. Take self doubt for example. It's pretty tough to be hard on yourself when you can't find many around you that work as hard or harder than you do. I have two parents that have worked harder than anyone else I've ever known and that gives me pride in my family but also a drive to do as much or more (if it's possible) in my own life. Working harder than everyone else also eliminates arguments, reprimands and other irritations that come from a lack of confidence either from yourself or from those higher up in your organization. When I worked at Clear Channel, I had a manager that told me out the gates she wasn't sure if I'd make it, that the environment was very competitive and rough. Often in my career, there were those that took my small, female frame and polite mannerisms in the interview to be submissive. In that hiring interview, I had to stifle a laugh and blurted, "Will you ever throw me across the room?" She looked startled, had me repeat myself and then said "Of course not" and hired me on. She had no idea what I'd just been through with my last business and I was not even slightly intimidated by my new, competition driven environment. Less than a year later, I was the number two (of many) in the building and likely would have gotten to #1 had I stayed there. Most of the people in the office were seasoned vets, but I know my own ability to work hard, apply myself and learn from those around me with best practices. I still have moments where I hear Steve who was across the isle from me, providing advice through his daily routine and excellent attention to clients and prospects. He worked hard, smart and diligently and  stood out as one of the best I've seen.

Three) Use your resources. Working hard and having a great attitude are the foundation of waking up on Monday excited, ready and willing to work, but you also need to take account of your resources and use them. I'm still learning this one as I have a defiant spirit that likes to do things for myself. There are a lot of reasons I feel that way from both my personal and professional life, but not using your resources is silly. What I mean by 'resources' is your Web of Allies, funds available to grow your career or business and the things many take for granted like libraries, free education seminars, networking opportunities and, yes, extra work that no one wants to do. I didn't like fixing my co-workers' computers, but I did it anyway, cutting into my sales time and causing moderate amounts of irritation. However, when I needed help or for someone to cover me, it wasn't hard to find someone to help out. When I started teaching English to some people in Africa via Facebook, I'd question myself as to why I was doing it but now see the results in careers in International peace keeping, education and the arts that have been enabled by my efforts and I plan to utilize those individuals and their networks to advance the proliferation of incredible technology I've had the opportunity to learn about and apply my talents to. Resources can be anything. It can be your teenager that can cut your hair, keeping it perfectly professional without the cost, it can be your local library that enables you to learn a new language or find a career path. Resources can be government mentor-ships like the SBIR and the SBDC who will help you to grow from wherever you are at. Use them and appreciate them, it can make a big difference in how you feel about your life's work-and Monday mornings, which I like to call 'Monumental Monday's.'

Jennifer Mason & Associates, my company
I'd challenge anyone, you and myself included, to hit the ground running on Monday's, to not complain but rather harness the energy not used by the majority on that day that is popular to dread. Set your to-do list over the weekend, have everything set in your mind and wake up excited to see how you can move your week and work life forward at the onset of the week. A positive attitude, a commitment to working hard and tapping in to your resources can and will help your career. We are what we do, love what you do and Monday's will look a whole lot brighter.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A World of Life, or Why to Live is the Opposite of Evil

 Wow. This is getting tough.  Not the work of life. Not life. Those have always been tough. What's getting to be so tough that it's almost unbearable, is knowing what I can do for so many that are struggling, while having the fear of change, doom, climate, water, food... on and on until it grips people so hard, that they don't move. They can't hear that there are options. When they see them, they are so tired of being lied to or manipulated that even when they think something is good, the past won't let them open up their own future. Having solutions for people didn't start with the solution, for me. In my life, it was always about the people. When I was young, I wanted to be a lawyer, but I ended up in business. It was my mom, actually, who showed me the world of marketing. I had no idea I'd end up there, but I loved watching her mind work, he sessions with my dad that felt like they were on fire, even from the top of the stairs or through the vents, where

I love Memorial Day (and leave the BBQ's alone)

I love memorial day. I didn't used to think of it much and I BBQ all the time, so I'm not too impressed with all those cartoons running around. I love memorial day because I get to officially remember people, many of whom I think about consistently but It wasn't always this way. Remembering can be hard and (in my opinion) paying tribute to those memories are an individual choice. I was living away from my family, in Arizona and married to an individual that didn't prefer me having any connections to people outside of him. My grandmothers both passed away in this time and I was unaware. My grandmother in Florida was an adorable little woman when I got to know her as a young kid. From my mom's stories, I know it wasn't always that way. Grandma Gron had to be tough to live through my grandpa and I promise you, tough is an understatement. She raised three children and my mother is of the best I have the pleasure of knowing or to know or know of. I remember and c

Past My Limit or Internal Lies. Three tips on personal motivation.

Every time I say to myself that I have reached my limit or that I'm past my limit, I have the instant emotional response that it's just not true. Like most, throughout my life I've had a variety of experiences, some pretty harsh trials and many lessons in endurance and perseverance. Here's a few tips on how to keep going when you feel there is no possible way you can. 1. Ignore reality. Not completely, but in some ways ignore the elements that make you feel there is no way out. Relationships that are ending, finances that are drained and the faith of others in your talents that has just run out are all real and actual problems. In personal and professional realms, there are times when you just can't see moving forward nor feel you have the strength to do so. I suggest you ignore it a little and get out of your current perspective. I can recall the day I drove into Millcreek Broadcasting, a small Utah radio group, to apply for a job. At twenty two I hadn't h