Skip to main content

Telling the Kids the Truth or Now Stop Talking

"I get it, your a badass."
And I shut up.
I'd just been through a minor ordeal with a strangers child and got pretty excitable about it. And then I kept going, like I tend to.
Man, I love this guy for shutting me up right then.

So, it's important (or more importanter) to look at why the lesson was there. That's the part I started to understand when I'd "kept going" but I should have internalized the experience, as I eventually did, and I'd have come out with an awesome message to share. Now I have two, but.....

Be honest with kids.
Like, really.
Stay age appropriate in your choice of words, timing and tone but be honest with them.

If there's a kid that's upset that age accounts for all, talk to them about that. Don't patronize them and try to pretend it's something else. Ageism sucks and I have to agree with them. However, regardless of stance, children embody what we are all supposed to look up to, right? Their purity, their dedication to their own life. It's a beautiful thing and one that most of this world's religions teaches is the epitome of Heaven. And.. Here I go again.


Be honest and tell them what's actually going on in a way they can comprehend. For example, I had a little brother that came to see my baby when I'd had her in 1999. Alyssa was almost three months early, however, so the nurses had a policy not to let my brother in. He was too young, health and other factors had no play so he'd flown from Utah to see his first niece and couldn't. Right then is the time to explain the reality behind those doors. In a non-scary but realistic way. Some of those little ones barely hit two pounds and having met up with one of the NICU moms and her little one later, I can say, any illness was not an option. This is a place to determine what you believe about those things and also to know that people that work there aren't in a position to make decisions anymore. We have policies now.

Explaining these things helps not only to educate and comfort a child who has no clue what is going on most of the time for lack of experiences and a developed thought process, but it also helps to shape the new generations in actuality. Reality. And if the reality is hard to look at, talk about, explain or watch play out... Well then, we need to fix some things.

I'm doing my best and feel like an ant on the top of these awesome Rocky Mountains. In the winter. With few resources for my family and others who need them.







I'm honest with the kids because it helps them but in the end, I have a feeling they will be the ones to light us a fire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A World of Life, or Why to Live is the Opposite of Evil

 Wow. This is getting tough.  Not the work of life. Not life. Those have always been tough. What's getting to be so tough that it's almost unbearable, is knowing what I can do for so many that are struggling, while having the fear of change, doom, climate, water, food... on and on until it grips people so hard, that they don't move. They can't hear that there are options. When they see them, they are so tired of being lied to or manipulated that even when they think something is good, the past won't let them open up their own future. Having solutions for people didn't start with the solution, for me. In my life, it was always about the people. When I was young, I wanted to be a lawyer, but I ended up in business. It was my mom, actually, who showed me the world of marketing. I had no idea I'd end up there, but I loved watching her mind work, he sessions with my dad that felt like they were on fire, even from the top of the stairs or through the vents, where

I love Memorial Day (and leave the BBQ's alone)

I love memorial day. I didn't used to think of it much and I BBQ all the time, so I'm not too impressed with all those cartoons running around. I love memorial day because I get to officially remember people, many of whom I think about consistently but It wasn't always this way. Remembering can be hard and (in my opinion) paying tribute to those memories are an individual choice. I was living away from my family, in Arizona and married to an individual that didn't prefer me having any connections to people outside of him. My grandmothers both passed away in this time and I was unaware. My grandmother in Florida was an adorable little woman when I got to know her as a young kid. From my mom's stories, I know it wasn't always that way. Grandma Gron had to be tough to live through my grandpa and I promise you, tough is an understatement. She raised three children and my mother is of the best I have the pleasure of knowing or to know or know of. I remember and c

Past My Limit or Internal Lies. Three tips on personal motivation.

Every time I say to myself that I have reached my limit or that I'm past my limit, I have the instant emotional response that it's just not true. Like most, throughout my life I've had a variety of experiences, some pretty harsh trials and many lessons in endurance and perseverance. Here's a few tips on how to keep going when you feel there is no possible way you can. 1. Ignore reality. Not completely, but in some ways ignore the elements that make you feel there is no way out. Relationships that are ending, finances that are drained and the faith of others in your talents that has just run out are all real and actual problems. In personal and professional realms, there are times when you just can't see moving forward nor feel you have the strength to do so. I suggest you ignore it a little and get out of your current perspective. I can recall the day I drove into Millcreek Broadcasting, a small Utah radio group, to apply for a job. At twenty two I hadn't h