Skip to main content

Social Networking

I am a frequent visitor of Sedona, AZ. My favorite past time is to visit the Shambalah Healing Center, home to the Llama's and Ani's in assistance to the Buddah Maitreya. I have had the opportunity to hear the words of Llama Ian, who helped to calm me at a difficult time. I heard the words of The Buddah, which helped me to understand my relations and their value. I don't have an exact quote, however, the basis of The Buddah's comment was how technology and modern communications have altered and sped up the human relationship. Where it used to take us months or years to have a conversation across long distances-the phone, the cell phone, pager, text and internet have sped us up. We can now have real-time conversations with the masses-without using our voice, resources or going anywhere. This enables us to know more people, get to know them faster, extract the value from a relationship in a shorter period of time and-yes, move on.

What does all this have to do with Social Networking?

First, let me say I signed up to see what twitter.com is all about and saw the words of MC Hammer:
"Perception is the value proposition (we buy perception) and reality offers a balance(true value)... "Control Perception, Analyze Reality".

I'm in sales and this just afforded me much in understanding. I don't know MC Hammer, though I did have some great "Hammer pants" back in the 5th grade. I don't know him and may never- however, I was able to log on to a social networking site, see his conversation with another and extract value from that relationship.

Social Networking has long been the golden ticket in grassroots marketing, but insofar as humanity, social consciousness and the evolution of our inner selves, there is nothing like it. Do you remember when the first chat rooms came about? Everyone I knew was suddenly someone different! Guys were pretending to be young girls, young girls were pretending to be lesbians- men were gay, lesbian, young, rich. It was a mess! As the Internet lost the shiny newness of anonymity, people began to develop online personalities, host their own sites and express themselves better and more freely that they did in their day-to-day lives with their family and friends. There became a balance of who they were and who they dared to be. This was odd to me-stood out as an anomaly that no one discussed. Who were they, really? Why is it that people were so different when they got online? Why were they more free?

My personal belief is that there is a deep desire in everyone to be what they are 100%. Everyone wants to be of real value to their peers, but there has been no medium until this point. Up until now, we have readily accepted people if they offered up a useful personality (their
"value proposition") and even the best of people, who want to be useful and valuable to as many others as possible, twisted and contorted their personality, traits and appearance in order to appeal to their familiars. But it was in vein and the false acceptance-well, it was empty.

Once on the Internet, these contortions were no longer necessary. There was an overwhelming
concept available-that there must be someone out there who could appreciate a true person,
one who felt it necessary to build themselves into an advertiser of their personality. For sure, there was acceptance available for all of us freaks and wanters and self promoters and self-centered and shameless lovers of that which we are.

In comes social networking. It takes the idea of six degrees of separation and makes all that that implies- null. Social networking is important at best, revolutionary in my opinion. It does something so much more important than let us promote talents, virtues, hobbies and associates. It is better than all the sexting and chat rooms and immediate information. Social Networking allows us to focus on and develop ourselves. It enables us- requires those that participate- to answer-"Who are you and what do you want?" For the first time, we have a place-albeit a virtual one- that we can decide and go after our real goals, speak our minds and have interactions with people that are not cloaking themselves in order to feel comfortable or be accepted. It allows us to be the self serving person we are and-this is the beauty of it-when we become those true selves it is the only time where our persona's "value proposition" will be congruent with reality-"true value"-and allow us to feel good, truly good, while bringing our real and amazing value into society.

Comments

  1. It is strange to me you ask such a simple question to the masses that so many individuals have a hard time answering for themselves. Who am I and what do I want. I know who I am. I am a wife, a mother, a sister, a friend. I am someone who loves nature and simplicity. I love am a deeply spiritual person, yet am not at all religious.
    What I want is another question. I know the superficial worldly things I desire, yet I also know that is not what you are asking. I wish society could step back. I wish we could revert to a time where life wasn't so hectic and full of chaos. I want my family to grow up in a world where people take responsibility for their own actions. I crave for success in my personal life as well as my professional life. I urn to be closer to those who I have been distanced from. As do you, I just want to be accepted.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A World of Life, or Why to Live is the Opposite of Evil

 Wow. This is getting tough.  Not the work of life. Not life. Those have always been tough. What's getting to be so tough that it's almost unbearable, is knowing what I can do for so many that are struggling, while having the fear of change, doom, climate, water, food... on and on until it grips people so hard, that they don't move. They can't hear that there are options. When they see them, they are so tired of being lied to or manipulated that even when they think something is good, the past won't let them open up their own future. Having solutions for people didn't start with the solution, for me. In my life, it was always about the people. When I was young, I wanted to be a lawyer, but I ended up in business. It was my mom, actually, who showed me the world of marketing. I had no idea I'd end up there, but I loved watching her mind work, he sessions with my dad that felt like they were on fire, even from the top of the stairs or through the vents, where

I love Memorial Day (and leave the BBQ's alone)

I love memorial day. I didn't used to think of it much and I BBQ all the time, so I'm not too impressed with all those cartoons running around. I love memorial day because I get to officially remember people, many of whom I think about consistently but It wasn't always this way. Remembering can be hard and (in my opinion) paying tribute to those memories are an individual choice. I was living away from my family, in Arizona and married to an individual that didn't prefer me having any connections to people outside of him. My grandmothers both passed away in this time and I was unaware. My grandmother in Florida was an adorable little woman when I got to know her as a young kid. From my mom's stories, I know it wasn't always that way. Grandma Gron had to be tough to live through my grandpa and I promise you, tough is an understatement. She raised three children and my mother is of the best I have the pleasure of knowing or to know or know of. I remember and c

Past My Limit or Internal Lies. Three tips on personal motivation.

Every time I say to myself that I have reached my limit or that I'm past my limit, I have the instant emotional response that it's just not true. Like most, throughout my life I've had a variety of experiences, some pretty harsh trials and many lessons in endurance and perseverance. Here's a few tips on how to keep going when you feel there is no possible way you can. 1. Ignore reality. Not completely, but in some ways ignore the elements that make you feel there is no way out. Relationships that are ending, finances that are drained and the faith of others in your talents that has just run out are all real and actual problems. In personal and professional realms, there are times when you just can't see moving forward nor feel you have the strength to do so. I suggest you ignore it a little and get out of your current perspective. I can recall the day I drove into Millcreek Broadcasting, a small Utah radio group, to apply for a job. At twenty two I hadn't h